Apr 14, 2011

DIY Collar Tips


Yup, these are 300 dollar Balenciaga tips. I don't see why anyone would want to purchase these, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Honestly WTF shoes us how with a pair of inexpensive decorative brass corners from the hardware store, we can make our own Balenciaga-inspired collar tips that are to "DIY for". (All instructions are from Honestly WTF)

You’ll need:



Start by drawing 2 lines at 45 degree angles on the inside of each brass corner, 
creating a small wedge. Use the cutting pliers to cut out the wedges. 
Sandwich a brass corner between two pieces of fabric. The fabric will prevent 
the brass from being dented or nicked by the hammer. Lightly tap the hammer, 
flatting the edges inwards.  
Once you’ve flattened your corners, super glue a clutch pin back to each backside.
Let it dry.
Attach your new collar tips to any shirt!
 top img from matches rest of imgs from wtf

Oh how I love Do It Yourself projects. I don't remember when or how I got so crafty (or cheap thrifty) but I definitely put the blame on my dad who always had to do everything himself and was quite the sale seeker.

I still get excited when I find good DIY projects and although I rarely actually put forth any of these projects myself, it's still kinda fun to find them and imagine doing them. That is, until I found this DIY on Honestly WTF. It can't get any easier, nor cheaper, and the outcome looks ridiculously fun. Imagine this on a nice blouse (although it might leave a noticeable hole?) or anything khaki or denim like in the above image? 

Anyways, Erica at WTF did an amazing job photographing and presenting the project in a totally user-friendly way. They also have an amazing catalog of other DIY projects, some of which I'd like to think I'll be trying soon too:

Check them out, lemme know if you find any other good ones out there. We're slowly becoming a DIY culture, so get on it and have fun!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails